The DCS Montessori Educational Foundation (MEF) raises funds to support facility improvements and special projects at DCSM through various large-scale programs and events throughout the year. Monies raised are used for everything from new carpet and paint to continuing education scholarships for DCSM teachers.
The MEF Board of Directors is composed of current or past parents of students. The MEF is not part of the school but a separate nonprofit entity. For a closer look at the differences between the MEF, the school’s Board of Directors, and the School Accountability Committee (SAC), check out this document.
Recent Projects Your Support Has Helped Fund
- Update WiFi capacity for remote learning and increasing tech needs
- Increase Chromebooks on hand for lending and on-site use
- Support the development of new outdoor curriculum
- New gym floor
- New energy-efficient LED lighting throughout the school
- Construction of the middle school greenhouse
- Teacher training and scholarships
- New primary playground equipment and shade structures
- Garden Curriculum
- New Montessori materials
- Teacher Training
Last year, the MEF fundraising efforts supported more than $25,000 of classroom materials purchased, which benefitting every DCS Montessori student directly into the classrooms. The MEF will look to our exterior beginning this year and into the future.
DCS Montessori is committed to upgrading and remodeling its landscaping with three key Sustainability goals:
1) Reducing watering by eliminating natural grass and replacing it with recycled content artificial turf
2) Increasing our tree planting with drip irrigation for shade, carbon footprint reduction, and continued beautification
3) Adding renewable energy sources and examining energy reduction strategies
Current implementations we are fundraising for this year are …
1) Eliminating natural grass and adding artificial turf to the Primary Playgrounds.
2) Eliminating two sections of grass and resurfacing them on the southeast corner of the main building, replacing two dying trees with 4 new trees, and adding 5+ picnic tables to create an outdoor eating space for the elementary
3) Adding shade to the Middle School outdoor
Teacher training – DCS Montessori recognizes that recruiting and developing teachers is essential to DCS Montessori having a high-quality teaching staff–the most critical part of our school. This year we have two new teachers and one new administrator, who all received their training through MEF fundraising efforts. Training continues as two current staff in Assistant roles are in training right now, preparing to be the next teachers at DCS Montessori. This is part of MEF’s fundraising expenditures every year!